At Nysa Family Dentistry, we are dedicated to providing you with a wealth of services that help keep your smile strong, healthy, and intact.
If a tooth is damaged, we will do everything possible to restore it to protect your oral health preserve the structure of the tooth. However, there are instances where removing a diseased tooth is the only option we have for protecting your oral health and general well-being.
Reasons for Tooth Extraction
Extraction is necessary when we have exhausted all other options for repairing the damaged tooth. There are several instances where extraction may be required:
- Advanced decay - A tooth is so damaged that a filling or crown will not be adequate to strengthen and protect it.
- Root canal infection – A root canal infection has advanced to the point where we cannot resolve it with traditional treatment.
- Dentures – We are planning denture treatment, and one or more teeth need to be removed for the best outcome.
- Removal of wisdom teeth – Wisdom teeth don’t serve a real purpose. They are difficult to clean properly and can lead to discomfort and crowding of surrounding teeth.
Your Comfort Is Our Priority
Losing a tooth can be a traumatic experience, but we are here for you every step of the way. Our goal is to build a strong, trusting relationship with you so you feel comfortable turning to us when you have a problem.
We know extraction can be difficult for some people, so we want to make the process as comfortable and efficient as possible. Whether you need a hand to hold or a friendly smile, our focus is completely on your needs.
Dr. Anu Amara and Dr. Usha Kolli have all the skill and experience necessary to perform stress-free extractions. We also offer calming nitrous oxide, a type of sedation that will help you relax comfortably during the procedure.
After your procedure, we will provide you with instructions for at-home care. These instructions include:
- Bite down gently on the gauze provided for an hour after the procedure.
- To minimize swelling, use ice packs and keep your head elevated as much as possible for 24 hours.
- After the gauze is removed, you can eat and drink, but stick to soft foods.
- Do not rinse, spit, smoke, or drink through a straw. All these actions can dislodge the protective clot that is forming.
We will check in with you on the evening of your procedure, but don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!
Please Call for an Appointment
If you have a damaged tooth that you think may need to be extracted, please call our Frisco, TX dental office. We won’t lecture you about your oral health because we are only here to find solutions that protect your oral health now and for the long term.